Houston Wage and Overtime Claims Lawyer
Texas wage and overtime lawyer
You’re entitled to be paid fairly and adequately for the work that you do. Unfortunately, many Texas employers abuse their position of power to shortchange employees, forcing them to perform unpaid work or denying them the overtime premium mandated by law. Located in Houston, the Law Offices of David C. Holmes gives workers the strong legal support they deserve in wage disputes. Mr. Holmes can explain to you how the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other federal and state legal protections give you the right to collect what you’re owed without fear of retaliation.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Originally enacted in 1938, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides multiple protections for workers, including a guaranteed $7.25 minimum wage and a ban on child labor. The FLSA also mandates overtime pay for eligible workers who are on the job for more than 40 hours in a week. If you are not receiving time-and-a-half for overtime hours or the wages or tips you have earned, Attorney David C. Holmes can advise if you have a potential case under the FLSA. Victims of FLSA violations can receive back pay as well as liquidated damages.
Filing a wage or overtime claim in Houston
Disagreements over standard wages or overtime pay occur frequently. The Texas Payday Law provides workers with legal remedies for enforcing payment of wages unlawfully withheld. Specific scenarios that commonly give rise to actions under the law include the following:
- Nonpayment of time-and-a-half for overtime hours
- Nonpayment of pay raises that were promised
- Failure to pay full commission
- Refusal to provide required meal breaks
- Failure to reimburse travel or other work-related expenses
- Withholding of tips
- Required performance of job-related tasks off the clock
- Violations of minimum wage laws
Attorney David C. Holmes has spent almost 30 years working with employees who wish to file wage and overtime claims. His dedication to examining all parts of your claim ensures that no small part of your case is overlooked.
How we can help
We work with our clients personally in order to provide the highest level of service. Attorney David C. Holmes will review your particular situation and advise on the course of action that works best, which can be one of the following:
- Negotiation — Pursuing relief in a lawsuit or administrative hearing might be expensive and time-consuming. In many cases, it is easier to achieve a satisfactory resolution through skillful negotiation. We meet with employers who are willing to negotiate and we strive to reach a fair, swift settlement.
- Litigation — In cases where the parties cannot agree on a settlement, or where large amounts of wages or overtime are concerned, going to trial might be the best option. Our years of experience representing employees in legal disputes help us present your case in the strongest light.
If your case is weak, or if the amount of money you can recoup is less than the amount of money you’d have to spend to get it, we’ll tell you upfront.
Regardless of your job or the wage issue that led you to call us, you will be treated with respect. We won’t take on a case that cannot be won, and we will give you a fair assessment of your claim before you decide how to proceed. If you have a strong claim, we do what is necessary to help you recover any wages you’ve lost..
Schedule a free consultation with a Texas lawyer about your wage claim
The Law Offices of David C. Holmes in Houston assists Texas workers who have not received the wages or overtime pay that are owed. Please call 713-586-8862 or contact us online to make an appointment for a free initial consultation.