Houston Gender Discrimination Lawyer
Serving Montgomery, Harris, Fort Bend, Galveston and Brazoria counties
Gender discrimination is against the law. However, victimized workers might be intimidated by their bosses or unsure about what action to take. At the Law Offices of David C. Holmes in Houston, you will get the information and support you need to assert your legal rights. With nearly three decades of legal experience, Attorney David C. Holmes can explain how Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act, the Texas Commission on Human Rights Act and other laws protect your right to be free from gender-based bias. Regardless of what gave rise to your claim, you will be treated with respect as our firm pursues an appropriate remedy for the harm you’ve suffered.
Common examples of gender discrimination in the workplace
Attorney David C. Holmes has spent more than 28 years providing legal assistance for men and women who have been victims of discriminatory practices because of their sex and gender. Specific types of mistreatment that give rise to gender discrimination claims include:
- Refusal to interview or hire
- Unequal pay to employees of different genders doing the same work
- Dismissal based on gender
- Sexual harassment
- Discrimination based on pregnancy
- Failure to promote or to notify of open positions
- Exclusion from important meetings
- Providing different benefits or perks depending on the employee’s gender
- Refusal to offer maternity or paternity leave
- Offensive comments, images or touching based on the victim’s gender
Our firm focuses on employment law matters and stays on top of key legal developments in this area, such as the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which allows employees to challenge the causes of pay inequities within a company. No matter what form of gender discrimination takes place in your workplace, we will give you honest, knowledgeable counsel regarding the pertinent legal standards.
Can men be victims of gender discrimination?
Though most claims have been brought by women over the years, anyone can be a victim of gender discrimination. Some employers favor women workers for certain jobs, so men might have a hard time getting an opportunity or promotion even if they have the requisite credentials. Sometimes men are reluctant to file a discrimination claim, but it is important to remember that the law exists to protect everyone and you should not let illegal bias stop you from fulfilling your career goals.
What we can do to help
An effective Texas gender discrimination attorney at your side affords you the best chance of holding an employer accountable for their unlawful acts. Attorney David C. Holmes offers the following services to strengthen your case:
- Contract review — We review your contract to ensure you’re receiving the same treatment as similarly situated workers and that you’re not being denied time off for a discriminatory reason.
- Evidence gathering — Your co-workers may have noticed discrimination but were too afraid to come forth on your behalf. We conduct safe and secure interviews with the people in your workplace to develop a case against your employer.
- Collecting documentation — Every employee leaves a paper trail. Your past employment reviews and your employee handbook may provide some of the evidence we need to help you prove your case.
Our primary goal is to ensure that our clients receive fair treatment and compensation at their jobs regardless of their gender. We put in the legwork required to help you build a formidable legal argument against a discriminatory employer.
Contact a Texas gender discrimination attorney to set up a free consultation
The Law Offices of David C. Holmes represents Texans who have been victims of gender discrimination in the hiring process or on the job. To make an appointment for a free initial consultation regarding your potential claim, please call 713-586-8862 or contact us online. Our office is located in Houston.